Do you have pets and a part- or fulltime job? Then you will have to leave them alone in the house for many hours every week. And this is a less than optimal situation for both you and the animal. Most pets really don’t like to be alone. They value our presence and want to be part of our lives. Petcube allows us to interact with our pets over the internet. It’s a cute little box that connects to our router through WIFI or Ethernet.
A wide angle camera allows you to see what is going on. Most people will use it with a smartphone app, but there is also a website available. Then there are two really nice ways to interact with your pet, a laser pointer and a two way audio system. So you can listen and talk with your pet. And you can play with them with the laser dot.
But does Petcube allow you to see in the dark or low light?
Because if you also want to use it as a security camera then this can be critical. And what if you are only able to log in at night due to a night shift or long distance travel?
No, The Original Petcube Does Not Have Night Vision
It might be a feature that will be added in the next version. But currently it does not have night vision. You can tweak the sensitivity of the camera and the brightness of your smartphone. But real night vision will not be possible.
Why that might be a problem
- If you leave your pets in the pitch black darkness at night. Now there will be nothing to see through the Petcube making it almost useless.
- Using the Petcube as a security camera at night. You can use security cameras
Why that might not be a problem
- If you leave one or more lights on at night. Especially if you have the modern type of lights that can be controlled through an internet connection. Or lights that switch on when they detect motion. Now you can easily switch on some illumination and use your Petcube
- If you have a separate security camera setup with night vision and hidden camera’s. This will provide you with better security anyways.
- Find our everything you need to know about Petcube Camera, in our full review
The New Petcube Play And Bites Will Have Night Vision
The decision to not include night vision in the Petcube is understandable. Most people will be able to have all the benefits without it. Me and most pet owners I know tend to leave at least one light on at night. Adjusting the Petcube and light source correctly will mean that you can still play.
However the new model being introduced by Petcube will have night vision. You can see how it’s going to look through the camera in the following Instagram post.
These models are available now. The following video from their kickstarter campaign gives a good idea of how they will benefit your pet.